By Charles Igwe
A devastating fire erupted at the High Commission of Canada in Abuja on Monday, resulting in the loss of two lives and leaving two others with severe injuries. A source, speaking on condition of anonymity, revealed that the fire could have caused even more extensive damage if not for the prompt response of the Federal Fire Service (FFS) in extinguishing the raging inferno.
The source indicated that the fire originated in the generator house rather than the main building, and the arrival of the firefighters prevented a more catastrophic outcome. The source explained, “The fire started from the generator house, not the main building, and we were lucky to have the firefighters in time to put out the fire; the damage could have been worse.”
Another source provided details, saying, “There is a diesel tank close to the generator house, and I think maybe because of the temperature, the diesel tank exploded. A service provider from a generator servicing plant—They have a service provider who usually comes to service their generators but I will not like to mention the name—lost one of their personnel, and one of the staff of the embassy died too.”
“The other two that were injured are in the hospital getting medical attention,” the source added.
Efforts to confirm the incident with the High Commission’s spokesperson, Damilade Kosemani, were unsuccessful, as he did not respond to calls or messages.